Sunday, September 27, 2009

Of Hello and Health Care

Hello, and thanks for reading my first blog. In this blogging series I will discuss the big political and social issues. My goal is to keep a balanced and untilted debate of the issues. I will do my best to remain neutral. This is why I named the blog The Adams. John Adams was famous for trying to stay above of the partisian politcs of the time. I will attempt to keep with that legacy.

This is going to be a weekly blog, probably published every Saturday or Sunday. I encourage everyone to post comments and have discussions. I welcome suggestions for future topics and open discussion on those topics.

For my first topic, which I will touch on only briefly in this post, (I will go into more detail in a future post) is the hot button issue of Health Care reform. One of my biggest irratation with the issue is that it is almost impossible to find any unslanted information on it, whether you look on CNN, MSNBC, or Fox News. I have been reading a economics book right now and I am going to try to do a quick interpretation of this from that perspective.

One of the parts of the bill that I have heard about is that there will be a cap on medicine prices. This sound good, but the problem is that if you start limiting the amount that companies can charge then you get rid of the incentives to develope the medicine in the first place. If this happens then we won't have any of the medical advances that we take for granted. Another problem that this will cause is that if you keep prices artificially low there is waste. When the prices are too low people will buy more then they need causing shortages for other people. This can have the opposite effect then was intended, whether you believe that the intention was good or bad. That is all I will put in this post, but please read next week's post for more.

For more information on the economic info that I mentioned, please read Basic Economics by Thomas Sowell.

Links-

No comments:

Post a Comment